Actor and presenter Lawrence Maleka is a sight for sore eyes, at least that’s what most of his female fans think.
The star, who plays Zolani Dlamini and Mzansi Magic’s telenovela The River, has seen a number of Man Crush Monday (MCM) shout outs in his career. Not to mention that he also gets a lot of credit for his acting and presenting.
His most noticeable television gig sees him play a dangerous, but also romantic kasi boy who ends up in the suburbs on The River. Ardent viewers of the show lo his relationship with his favorite aunt, and everyone’s favorite villian Lindiwe Dlamini Dikana aka Madlabantu – portrayed by the much-loved thespian Sindi Dlathu.
It’s no secret that he gives his all in his role as Zolani, which is why in 2019 he bagged the South African Film and Television (SAFTA) Golden Horn award in the Best Supporting Actor – Telenovela category for this role. But it’s also worth noting that he gives just as much in his acting gigs and he has a 2016 Nigerian Broadcasters Merit Award for African Broadcaster of the Year (Male) to show for it.
— Lawrence (@Lawrence_Maleka) March 25, 2021
1. Lawrence, who was born in Soweto, is an April baby and was born on the 11th in 1990 – that makes him 31 years old this year. He is actually the baby in his family, with two other siblings; an elder brother and a sister.
2. Believe it or not, but he actually prefers presenting overacting. Maybe this is why after taking a lengthy break, he has finally decided to go back to his first love. When SABC1 announced a new dating show, Lawrence Maleka was their guy to host the show, Too Hot to be Single, which started airing on the 8th of April 2021. The last time he actually had a presenting gig was in SABC3’s reality TV show, The Final Cut, which was in 2017. Those who love singing or talent shows will remember him on Mzansi Magic’s Clash of The Choirs, which was when he got his major break. However, if we want to take things even further back and talk about the first time he appeared on TV, it would have to be in 2009 on Soweto TV – a gig he says he was encouraged by TV and radio personality Lerato Kganyago to audition for.
3. Sorry, ladies, but according to our sources the actor is taken and infact, he has already put a ring on it. Although a very private man, and we understand why, Lawrence has revealed that his eyes are set on one woman and one woman only.
— 🌻Fa Ne Le🌻 (@Fanele_Moiana) July 1, 2021
4. Not only is Lawrence a creative, but he is also a business mind too – which is why he owns a firm called BMI Holdings.
5. When it comes to interests, the actor is a huge Jazz fan. He cites his father as his biggest influence and inspiration behind his love for the genre. He was also very active in sports when he was in high school. The actor played Rugby and was so good at it that he captained his school rugby team.